Monday, October 30, 2006

rifs, haunts, birthdays, books and dolls

The title of this post sums up the events of the last several days. Last week started with notification that our company was going to be going through another RIF (reduction in force). Sound better than "downsizing" or "rightsizing"? You be the judge. I understand it is necessary to sustain the business, but that doesn't make it any easier. Thursday came and went and I made it, but it is always hard to say goodbye to friends you have made over the years.

On Friday, we headed out with a group of friends to go see the Halloween Haunt held at one of the local movie studios. A bit hokey, but fun nonetheless. After that, we headed out for dinner and I was surprised with some birthday presents from my guys (my birthday was Saturday). My Wesley got me a table top vice, to assist with my soldering projects, and Stephen gave me a Nikon S6 digital camera. I have been wanting one for a while...love the large screen on the back. And to top it all off, we made it home in time to see my beloved Vancouver Canucks beat the Washington Capitals in an overtime shootout! What a way to start off my birthday weekend.

On Saturday it was off to the first of two fun-filled days of book-making classes. Janice came by and we carpooled over. The fabulous Nancy and April hosted the event. April was our chef for the two days, keeping our tummies full with all sorts of nummy delights. Suzanne Cannon of Quiet Fire Design taught us 'Over and Under the Covers' and 'Mini Mica Memories' on day one and 'Unfolding Adventures' on day two. Suzanne is a wonderful teacher and a lovely person. I always enjoy her classes. I was surprised with a birthday cake and some lovely treats. Thanks everyone! I got to meet Mary, who will be one of my room mates at Artfest! What a pleasure. Mary travelled over from Victoria to attend the classes. I got to catch up with Nadine, another one of my original art friends (as are Pat and Janice) who is just back from a wonderful trip to Italy. I can't wait to hear more and see some pictures. On Saturday, after our book classes, Nancy held another class for a portion of the group and we made lovely beaded dolls. With us all seated around a table it was a nice couple of hours to sit and chat while we worked away.

All in all it was a wonderful weekend and a great way to turn 29 for the 15th time. :u)

1 comment:

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEB... OH GOSH.. I wish it was NOT a Belated Greeting...

xoxo